I am glad I organized two workshops in Hong Kong during the summer holiday.
Here are take-away points from the workshop contributed by the participants:
1. Muscle contraction is a key for body composition.
2. Control the exact TEMPO.
"Make a lightweight feel heavy."
3. Mind-muscle connection - slow down your movement.
Feel your muscles when you're training.
Lifting weight is not just from point A to point B.
respect every rep
Chase for the "PUMP"
4. Progressive Overloading is the key to stimulate the muscles the grow.
5. Rowing exercises:
- Squeeze your scapulae together
- Lats contraction
7. When you're lifting weight, you have to make sure the weight always challenge yourselves. Always.
6. Always focus on Compound exercises first - squat, deadlift, bench press
7. Squat -
Everyone has different range of motion (ROM).
8. Techniques of Deadlift :
Contract your lats,
Put the weight slowly
9. Athletes shulder focus on the posterior chain - upper back, lower back, glutes, hamstrings and abs.
10. Breathing Technique:
Brace your abs when you're lifting
11. No point to test 1RM to 3RM if Fat Loss is your goal.
Keep your reps range within 8 to 12 reps with described tempo.
If you are squatting with 80kg x 4 sets x 10 reps this week, try to lift 80kg x 1-2 sets x 12 reps in the next training session.
1. Calories In vs Calories Out
2. Fat Loss = Detoxification
Detoxification has two phases.
3. We must review our Fat loss progression from time-to-time according to the progression pictures, body fat %, girth measurement, and skinfolds (if you can).
4. Body Composition - Nutrition always comes first.
I don't care how many times do you train every week. If you don't focus on nutrition, you are going to fail.
You can gain muscle or lose fat.
"Abs are made in the kitchen."
5. Refeed doesn't equal to Cheat day.
Refeed = Eat within your daily calories and macros.
6. Supplement helps when you are preparing your foods everyday.Sugar intake control
7. Men: Drink 4L of water a day; Women: Drink 3L of water a day
8. Everyone has his/her own macros - Protein/ Fat/ Carbs
9. Low crabs diet can improve the insulin sensitivity level.
If you are more sensitive to insulin, your body is easier to build muscles and burn fat.
10. Function of Sleep
Sleep is the biggest secret of Fat Loss.